OBA promotes science, safety and ethics in the development of public policies in three areas: Biomedical Technology Assessment, Biosafety, and Biosecurity. By monitoring research and through consultation, coordination, and analysis, the office develops policies related to:
- The conduct of clinical trials using recombinant and synthetic nucleic acids,
- Biosafety for NIH supported research,
- Biosecurity, including oversight of dual use research, and
- Registration of new stem cells lines for NIH funded research.
Specific activities include optimizing the conduct and oversight of gene transfer research, updating and interpreting biosafety policies under the NIH Guidelines Involving Research with Recombinant and Synthetic Nucleic Acids, providing critical input on Governmental policies regarding dual use research, the NIH Stem Cell Registry.
Jessica Tucker, Ph.D.
(301) 496-9838 | firstname.lastname@example.org